Saturday, March 24, 2012

Question: Describe yourself in one word...

I've thought about just which word describes me... when adding up all of life's experiences... Survivor seems to fit. While I have been known as a fighter, its much more than that. The saying is true, what doesn't kill you does make you stronger. 


I seem to remember the feelings along the way and more than one time I did wish it would kill me. The isolation, uncontrollable, or self imposed, was the worst. I was convinced that there was no one who could understand any of what I was going through. My mentor tried to give me advice... but he had not walked my path... while he could sympathise... he didn't really understand. I vividly remember the first time I was told... "in order for someone to have the experience to teach others, they had to first go through it". What did that mean to me... oh joy, there was no one who understood, because I was the first. I have since run into myself several times along the path, and although I cried, whined, and screamed the whole way... I made it... and I could feel more than sympathy... I could feel empathy, after all... I had been through that. Joyce Myers teaches that "this is only a test". that we are given tasks and we never truly fail, we just keep going round the mountain until we pass. One would think that after all these years I would have figured it out the first time... but no. There I go... round and round and round sometimes. Eventually I learn. Ok, so a little hard headed and way stubborn. Yes, that's me. I am 47 years old, married 5 times, 5 children, and 6 grand children... with yet the last 2 at home.. the youngest being 6. Sure I have learned a few things, but I am still learning. I don't think we ever really stop, not as long as we are breathing. Mother, wife, counselor, friend, lover, grandmother, daughter, fighter, quitter, whiner, perfectionist..... put them all together and survivor is the correct word. 


Who are you? how do the people closest to you see you? what about the people that only see you from a distance? I am going to post this question on Face Book, and see what I get from my friends and family. Will save those results for another time. I challenge you... search yourself, ask your friends, parents, spouses... what do they say... then look in the mirror... ask yourself? You might just be surprised at what you learn.
                                                                            remember,
                                                                              You are NOT alone

No comments:

Post a Comment